Tuesday 1 December 2015

Letter From The Mountains To The Sea

Dear Sea,

I’m not big on nomenclature though “Dear” suits you in my heart just fine.
And you, Sea, you are too wide and too salty for my pure white snow. Though there is some magic in our silence.
Silences we don’t share together; silences that you on the coast and me in the north are constantly protecting from human cacophonies.
I heard you grumbling and roaring in the night, as you covered up those thirsty, dried sands in the dark.
Your charity comes by night time; mine with the sun glowing on the chirping gliding birds and trees.
Your roar, just a few metres off the beach, is it an ecstatic yell of triumph upon reaching the shore?
Or is it a wail on leaving the vast solitude of waters behind?
I watched you, Sea. I watched you from the white thrones  I occupy, bereft of humanity
While you are splashed around in the throes of bikinis and rubber tubes.


You and I, we are calm when the sun shines upon us. We have humans crawling around us, trying to derive even if just an inch of brevity and understanding from the rocks and sands they scratch on our surfaces.
Have you understood them, Sea? I have tried to. As they burn plastic brown clouds around me; an impending shroud that lays me naked, bereft of my white robes.
Have you understood them, Sea? Have you tried to? As they pump black waters into you and sigh at your raging beauty surrounding them on plush beach beds?
Oh sea, all those messages in bottles they set asail on your waves, can’t we leave one for them?
All those bright flags they pierce into me, when they summit, can’t we leave one for them?
I would like to tell them, don’t watch our beauty in rising and setting suns and moons.
We are bathed golden and silver in those lights, much like the metals humans covet.
Don’t try to understand us in your neuron filled minds.


Oh Sea, you and me, land and water, cannot grasp the human mind.
Except in avalanches and storms. High tides and winters.
I wish they saw my wonder in the forest set aflame by the sun
I wish they heard your hum in the night time stroll and warm waters caressing their feet.
I wish Sea, that you and me would meet.
I wish Sea, that beyond the reasons of silent conversation
Lay just you and me, mingling  like the valley clouds bathing my forests in translucence
Like the mist hiding your murmur in the early morning.
I wish Sea, that our greens would combine.
My gnarled oaks and your soaring palms.


I wish Sea, that you would write to me, in the twinkle of the stars.
In the vastness of the blue skies we share.
I wish Sea, that you would love me in the distance.
As I do. And our history would be confined to this letter.
In the chatter of humanity.


Love,
The Mountains


No comments:

Post a Comment