Tuesday 16 September 2014

Jennie Lives On In The Forest With Me

Cascading down a road
Divided naturally by gravel and pine needles
That have waited long to be a pathway
Of hope, of forgetting.
I wound down the drying grass of hope
I panted to keep up with the unyielding forest
I waited here with you
Making memories keep fears away
Of the future, of changing lives.
I looked upon the mountains stretched in a line
Old as time, new as me
I saw them build from small brown hills
Into snow-peaked wonders that challenge and mock
I waited, and worried about the wild boars of ambition
That dragged me to the city of lights
While the darkening silence of the forest beckoned and taunted
The price of my shades against the sunlight.

That spot just below the snow peaks, hidden ever so discreetly by tall blades of grass
That spot, where you and I sat and had a conversation carried silently
By the wind whispering words to us.

You had laughed out then
The sound ringing out, like a pleasant tune
And I looked at you wondering, how you could be so mesmerizing.
I had looked at you in admiration, in love
I had felt pride and joy creeping in.
“That’s my brother”, thought I.

The one who held my hand with his
Maneuvering the motorbike with one hand alone
Just to keep my fingers warm
Just to keep the harsh gravel of the jungle roads away from touching me.

You are gone now. But your laughter continues to ring in my heart.
You are gone now. But that spot where we sat will remain ours
You are gone now. But my words will always be for you.

You are gone now, Jennie.
And I only wish I could whisper “happy birthday”

To that face that lit up smiles like butter lamps in a monastery.

No comments:

Post a Comment