Friday 3 January 2014

100 % Rock

On a foray into Meghalaya in September last year, I had a chance meeting with Lou Majaw at The Shillong Cafe. We met on a couple of occasions and I wrote this piece to thank him for rejecting norms and being who he is.

When I go to a bar
I see their faces
Framed for posterity.
Young faces only.
Jim. Elvis. Bob.
Always photoshopped. Always alone.
I wonder then,
Does their solitude encourage our little groups
To see happiness in a pint?
I see Lou Majaw.
Old and grey. And youthful.
Silver hair, denim shorts and a thumbs-up smile.
Always on show.

He is a rockstar to you.
He is a phenomenon to me.
Of transgression, of questions thrown without cringe.
To challenge a status quo.

Then, I look back at this bar.
And wonder, how are we different?
From the barstools we occupy.
Each weekend, through time.


No comments:

Post a Comment